Thursday, August 28, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Monday, July 28, 2008
Got a minute? Take a super quick and easy survey for Green Mommy Guide! We want to get to know you a little better, and to thank you for helping us out, US readers can enter to win a Moby Wrap, the most fabulous way to carry your kid. And to sweeten the pot, our fantastic friends at Ruby Pinwheels have thrown in an adorable gift pack with an organic onesie and an all-natural diaper creme. All for telling us stuff you already know the answers to!
Take the survey now!
Monday, July 21, 2008
First of all, welcome to the Simple Mom.net readers. Simple Mom is THE blog for those of us who are looking for some realistic and livable ways to simplify- something we all could use! Her budgeting tips have literally transformed the way my household handles money, and I love the tips on having simple fun :) Welcome to all the ladies who found us from there!
And, once again, we so love all the Posh Mamas that find their way here. I am lucky enough to have a weekly post about Going Green(check for it on Tuesdays!) on Posh Mama, and it has been a joy to meet all of the fantastic women there. Haven't joined Posh Mama yet? You're missing out! Posh Mama Online Magazine and Social Network is a positive and upbeat community made up of women from around the world. You will feel immediately welcomed as it is the sweetest spot on the 'net. Come hang out, network and make some great friends at www.poshmama.com.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Anyway, I hope everyone's having a great weekend! Stay tuned for a whole new section coming to Green Mommy Guide- I hope you'll find it fun and helpful!
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Wanna win? Get over to Livin' With me to enter, and tell them that Green Mommy Guide sent you!
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Things with Green Mommy Guide are really taking off, getting more and more readers and email subscribers every day. I recently read an article in O Magazine talking about how "Soccer Moms" are going to be the ones who change the world when it comes to going green. While I bristle at the term "soccer mom" because I find it dismissive (especially when they use it during elections!), I agree that this change will be largely initiated by moms. We are the ones who largely make the purchasing decisions for the household, and we live in a profit-driven society. We are the ones who are vocal about getting pesticides out of our children's foods, vaccines, and clothing. We are the ones who can connect with each other, be it in person or online, to create a movement.
Anyway, feel free to check back here often for updates and random thoughts and to leave you feedback about Green Mommy Guide. I need your help to keep the site growing!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Here's the nitty-gritty: Posh Mama is made up of women from all around the world from all walks of life. Members range in age from 20 years old to 80 years old! Posh Mamas are CEO's, Students, SAHM's, Artists, Designers, WAHM's, Models, Authors, Mompreneurs, etc. Posh Mama Online Magazine and Social Network is a positive and upbeat community. You will feel immediately welcomed as it is the sweetest spot on the 'net.
So cruise on over to Posh Mama today, and don't forget to ask me to be your friend!
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Monday, April 14, 2008
- Send an Ecard and have a tree planted at Arbor Day.org! For a $5.95 donation, you can send a card to someone you love (or like a lot) letting them know that a tree is being planted in their name. (I bet Grandma and Grandpa will love getting one from the kids!
- Find an Earth Day Celebration in your city! Check out Earth Day Network to find one.
- Get the neighborhood kids together to do a local trash pick-up. Make sure to separate out what can be recycled.
- Check out the book club on Green Mommy Guide for reading ideas and activities that you can do with your kids
- The American Museum of Natural History has posted The Legend of the Meeps Island Flying Frog online- print it out and let kids color in the pictures while learning about endangered species.
- Rent (or buy- seriously, its worth it!) the Planet Earth series on DVD. This is an amazing look at the Earth and its creatures like you have never seen before. Watch with you kids, but be sure to look over the episode descriptions first: some epsisodes may be scary for little ones.
What are your activity suggestions? Have a happy Earth Week!
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Monday, March 31, 2008
Friday, March 28, 2008
From 8:00-9:00pm your local time, please turn off your lights to be a part of this global movement sending a powerful national and global message that it's possible to take action on global warming.
Need some suggestions on what to do when the lights are out? How about a romantic candle-lit dinner with a loved one! Or a "camp out" in the living room with the kids, complete with flashlight shadow puppets and a pillow fort. Or go outside and actually look at the stars. At the very least, you could take that hour to switch the light bulbs in your house to energy saving compact fluorescent. To get more information about Earth Hour, check out the video below, then head over to http://www.earthhour.org/ and add your name to the list of people who have pledged to spend their Saturday nights with the lights off!
Monday, March 24, 2008
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
The Rose Hip Necklace from BTC Elements: made from bamboo (super sustainable) in the United States and well, just plain pretty.
- Organic Cotton "Love Dress" from Pursuit of Harmony (they have it at Greenloop ): makes me feel like its summer is oh-so-close!
- A fabulous Sigg water bottle. It seems every hip green lady (and man...and kid) has one except me. And I'm going to need it for all the running I'd have to do to look good in the aformentioned "Love Dress"! I think I like the "Spring has Sprung" pattern the best.
- Sol Recycled Glass Dinnerware from Viva Terra- They're eco-friendly, attractive, and a conversation piece for a dinner party.
Monday, March 17, 2008
- Peak Organic Beer- they're way ahead of the curve on this one. They have a Pale Ale, a Nut Brown Ale, and an Amber Ale, and they claim they've been perfected in the 10 years they've been brewing them.
- Butte Creek Brewing Co - Their Organic Revolution Imperial IPA rates pretty well among beer lovers. They are based in California but sales have grown to 25 states as demand has increased.
- Wild Hop Lager -this one's made by Anheuser-Busch, marking the start of "big players" entering the oragnic beer market. There are concerns that they will try to lower the Organic Certification standards, but so far, it hasn't happened.
- The Caledonian Brewery- if you need your imported beer fix, this company is based in England and is famous for their Golden Promise and EcoWarrior organic beers.
Plus, you can check out beertown.org to find local micro-brews who might be brewing up something green near you. Happy St. Patrick's Day to Ya!
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Saturday, March 15, 2008
The vegetarian chili was microwavable, tasted great, and had almost no fat (only 4 WW points for those of you ladies who track that kind of thing). The soy "meat" was so convincing, my husband forgot that it wasn't regular chili, so I'm willing to bet kids wouldn't notice either. But what sets this company apart is their commitment to being Earth friendly. They refuse to use any bio-engineered soy beans in the making of their products. They have several initiatives to make them a greener company, including water conservation, composting waste (which is then sent as fertilizers to local farmers), and more. In addition, they donate 5% of all profits to charities that support causes of human dignity, the environment and good health.
After loving the chili, I'm next going to try the Smart BBQ and Smart Ground, and maybe get super ambitious and work my way into their Organic line. Very Smart, indeed!
Sidenote: Thanks to all who stopped by during the blog party, I had a blast! Congratualtions to Kathleen from Katydid and Kid who won the Eggling Flower. If you want more giveaways, be sure to check out Green Mommy Guide and sign up for the newsletter- we just love giving away Green Stuff!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Green Mommy Musings is jumping on into the Ultimate Blog part hosted by 5 Minutes for Mom. Since we're a brand new site, we thought we'd make our post a house-warming party of sorts...and hopefully Miss Manners won't be too appalled that we are throwing our own house-warming!
For those of you bloggers making your way here for the first time, welcome! At Green Mommy Musings, along with our partner site, Green Mommy Guide we are dedicated to helping moms go green and stay fabulous! With all due respect to Al Gore, we don't believe that going green has to be "inconvenient", and we are dedicated to showing moms the many options that are out there that are kinder to the environment and to their babies than conventional products, without being condescending or intimidating. To see our origins, scroll down to our first post from not-so-long-ago (we're new, remember?) called Here We Go (Green)! Or if you're feelin' lazy just click.
Oh, and what's a housewarming without a plant for a gift? We're giving away an adorable Eggling crack & grow Blooming Flower! If you want one, leave a comment with your email address so I can contact you.
There are so many cool prizes to be won at this year’s Ultimate Blog Party, but my top three picks would be:
1) The Blog Makeover from Shauna from See My Designs
2) The 12X12 Custom Wall Canvas offered by Ju JuBeane Boutique
3) The Wrap-N-Mat and Chico shopping bag from Nature Moms
And if my top three picks are already chosen, I’d love any of the following (in order of preference):71, 45, 117, 137, or anything else related to babies (I have 3 month old), going green, or online business, as I have my own blog (obviously) and website.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Friday, March 7, 2008
Since I've been splashing around in the shallow end of website development by using Microsoft Publisher (I can hear the laughter from those of you who know anything about building websites), I decided to jump on into the deep end and upgrade to Expression Web. No, its not Dreamweaver, so I guess its like being in the deep end with floaties on.
At any rate, I am currently buried in an Expression Web for Dummies book and will hopefully be unveiling a newer, even more fabulous GMG very soon, so stay tuned!
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
"Back when I was nursing, we just used a pillow."
At the time, I was annoyed that she didn't see the brilliance and the beauty of the Boppy- its so much more than a pillow! The way it hugs you just right, and supports your arm and the baby... what's not to love. Nothing wrong with a little progress, that's what I say!
But when a family member passed this recall on to me, I couldn't help but think that maybe Mom was right. I'm not anti-technology or even anti-Boppy, in general. But, had I just been using a pillow, I probably wouldn't be scrambling to check the serial number to make sure the zipper on the cover wasn't one of the ones with dagerous levels of lead in it. I suppose the lesson to be learned here, is that "going green" can sometimes mean not "going" anywhere. Sometimes, the old tried and true meathod will work, even without all the bells and whistles.
Monday, March 3, 2008
The idea came about when I wanted to find eco-friendly and natural options for products I use with my new baby boy. Something about seeing (and smelling!) his new baby skin made me go a little crazy with trying to keep it as pure as possible. It wasn’t long before I figured out that organic and chemical-free was the way to go. Good. Decision Made. The End…right?
Nope! After what seemed like 5,000 Google searches into the topics of homemade organic baby food, cloth diapers, green and organic baby clothes, and natural cleaning products, I rubbed my bloodshot eyes, and went to bed, muttering something to my husband about how there should be a website that had all of this info in one place.
I woke up in the middle of the night with a crazy thought: I should start that website! And so began this crazy journey. I am so proud of the finished product, and I only hope other people enjoy it and find it useful, too!