Thursday, March 6, 2008

They Might Be Awesome

This blog is sort of a catch-all for some musings that may someday become a GMG article, some that are just personal green experiences, and then posts like this one that don't necessarily have so much to do with going green, but that discuss something fabulous that I think other moms might appreciate.

When I think about the kinds of kids music that my siblings and I listened to, I think that my parents might just have been saints. I was a Raffi girl, myself, and my mom indulged my countless requests for repeat playings of "Baby Beluga". One of my sisters lived to listen to "The Little Mermaid" soundtrack, and for what must have been a particularly long-feeling period for the adults in our lives, my younger sisters went through a "Barney" phase that had "The Clean-Up Song" and "I Love You, You Love Me...." relentlessly running though our heads.


So I think I might be dodging the Karmic bullet with the kid's music CDs that are out today. I actually like the music! The best example of this is "Here Come the 123s" by They Might Be Giants. Every silly and oh-so-singable song has an educational purpose, whether it's teaching counting, days of the week, or the multiple styles of giving a "high 5". But the music is something you would actually want to listen to in you pk (pre-kids) life, and TMBG is kind enough to include jokes in the lyrics that are meant just for the grown-ups. One warning: you will be humming the tune to "The Number 2" in the office the next day!
So why don't you go ahead and download it- it'll save more plastic and packaging waste than buying the CD. (See, don't say I didn't give you any eco-advice!)

No comments: