Saturday, March 15, 2008

I can't believe its not meat!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do love a good veggie burger once in a while. And since I'm trying to eat more healthy foods, I love finding good ways to sneak veggies into my diet. I was excited to find the "Smart" line by LightLife in the refrigerated section of my grocery store this week:

The vegetarian chili was microwavable, tasted great, and had almost no fat (only 4 WW points for those of you ladies who track that kind of thing). The soy "meat" was so convincing, my husband forgot that it wasn't regular chili, so I'm willing to bet kids wouldn't notice either. But what sets this company apart is their commitment to being Earth friendly. They refuse to use any bio-engineered soy beans in the making of their products. They have several initiatives to make them a greener company, including water conservation, composting waste (which is then sent as fertilizers to local farmers), and more. In addition, they donate 5% of all profits to charities that support causes of human dignity, the environment and good health.

After loving the chili, I'm next going to try the Smart BBQ and Smart Ground, and maybe get super ambitious and work my way into their Organic line. Very Smart, indeed!

Sidenote: Thanks to all who stopped by during the blog party, I had a blast! Congratualtions to Kathleen from Katydid and Kid who won the Eggling Flower. If you want more giveaways, be sure to check out Green Mommy Guide and sign up for the newsletter- we just love giving away Green Stuff!

2 comments:

cancerfighter said...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18310284?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Phytoestrogens found in soy products promote tumor cell growth and can increase the risk of certain cancers such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.

Green Mommy said...

I think its one of those items that goes back and forth a lot. This article from the American Institute for Cancer Resaerch claims that it helps to prevent breast cancer:
http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=pr_&id=9679&page=NewsArticle